Tax Deductions for Mechanics
If you are employed as beauty therapist, some of the deductible expenses you may be able to claim on your tax return are:

Meals & Travel
The cost of the following: Meals when you work overtime
Parking, tolls, taxis & public transport when travelling to attend seminars, meetings and training courses
Using your own car for work, including collecting mail, banking, attending meetings and training courses, picking up business supplies. It is best to keep diary records of the number of kilometres travelled during the year for these purposes. You can claim the cost of using your own car to travel t and from work but only if this is to carry bulky tools and equipment for your work and there is not a secure place to leave them on site overnight

Work Clothing
The cost of the following:
Compulsory uniforms, including shirts, pants, shirts, jackets, jumper (the uniform must have the business logo on it to ensure it is tax deductible)
Laundry or dry cleaning of your uniforms
Sun protection items (including hats, sunscreen, sunglasses, sun protection shirts and jackets
Any protective equipment required for working at your business premises, including gloves, overalls, goggles, masks, harnesses,helmets, steel-capped boots, high-visibility vests and jackets.

The cost of the following: Work-related training courses e.g. first aid, OH&S, equipment operating, technical updates, management and staff supervision, which are not run by a university or TAFE – you can also claim the travel expenses to attend these courses.
Self education courses run by universities (not including HELP or HECS) or TAFE, for example Cert II Automotive Mechanical, but the course must relate to your current employment. If studying, costs of books, stationery, travel and equipment required for the course.
Work Tools & Equipment

 The costs of:
Buying equipment used at work, including tools, electronic organisers, laptops and mobile phones.
Materials and supplies that you buy for use at work e.g. safety gear and first aid equipment
Repairs to equipment used at work
Stationery items, diaries, briefcases
Memberships, Subscriptions, Books, Telephones, Internet

The costs of:
Annual membership fees or union dues
Renewing machinery licences and tickets for your work, but not your normal drivers licence
Work related magazines and journals
Work related books
Work related home and mobile phone calls and rental (diary records should be kept to substantiate the numbers of phone calls you make for one month and then the accrued cost can be calculated)
Internet connection fees (only the proportion of the fee that relates to work use can be claimed)
Home office (diary records should be used to substantiate the hours per month spent working from home)

General Expenses
The cost of deductions that all employees can claim on their tax returns include: Bank fees charged on investment accounts
Donations to registered charities (so long as nothing is received in return for the donation eg raffle tickets or novelty items)
tax agent fees, including the cost of travelling to see your agent to have your return prepared.
Income protection or sickness and accident premiums
Rightwayaccounting suggest you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they are not listed above. When we prepare your return we can determine whether the expense is tax deductible or not.