Chefs and Hospitality Workers

Tax Deductions for Chefs and Hospitality Workers
If you are employed in the hospitality industry or as a chef, waiter, waitress or bar attendant, some of the deductible expenses you may be able to claim on your tax return are:

Meals & Travel
The cost of the following: Meals when you work overtime
Parking, tolls, taxis & public transport when travelling to attend seminars, meetings, expos, competitions and training courses
Using your own car for work, including collecting materials and supplies, attending meetings ,expos, competitions and training courses, picking up business supplies. It is best to keep diary records of the number of kilometres travelled during the year for these purposes.

Work Clothing
The cost of the following: Compulsory uniforms, including shirts, pants, shirts, jackets, jumper (the uniform must have the business or restaurant’s logo on it to ensure it is tax deductible)
Occupation specific clothing (including chef’s pants, jackets and hats)
Laundry or dry cleaning of your uniforms
Any protective equipment required for working at your business premises, including gloves, protective shoes, hair nets and aprons.

The cost of the following: Work-related training courses e.g. first aid, OH&S, specialty cooking courses, management and staff supervision, which are not run by a university or TAFE – you can also claim the travel expenses to attend these courses.
Self education courses run by universities (not including HELP or HECS) or TAFE, for example Cert IV in Commercial Cookery or Hospitality Management. If studying, costs of books, stationery, travel and equipment required for the course.

Work Tools & Equipment
The costs of: Buying equipment used at work, including knives, steels, tools, electronic organisers, laptops and mobile phones.
Repairs to equipment used at work
Stationery items, diaries, briefcases
Insurance costs of work equipment
Memberships, Subscriptions, Books, Telephones, Internet
The costs of: Annual membership fees or union dues
Work related magazines and journals
Work related books
Work related home and mobile phone calls and rental (diary records should be kept to substantiate the numbers of phone calls you make for one month and then the accrued cost can be calculated)
Internet connection fees (only the proportion of the fee that relates to work use can be claimed)
Home office (diary records should be used to substantiate the hours per month spent working from home)
Reimbursing your employer for any cash or bar shortages

General Expenses
The cost of deductions that all employees can claim on their tax returns include:
Bank fees charged on investment accounts
Donations to registered charities (so long as nothing is received in return for the donation eg raffle tickets or novelty items)
Tax agent fees, including the cost of travelling to see your agent to have your return prepared.
Income protection or sickness and accident premiums
Rightwayaccounting suggest you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they are not listed above. When we prepare your return we can determine whether the expense is tax deductible or not.