Building Industry Employees

Tax Deductions for Building Industry Employees
If you are employed in a gym or sporting organisation, some of the deductible expenses you may be able to claim on your tax return are:

Meals & Travel
The cost of the following: Meals when you work overtime, provided you have been paid an overtime allowance by your employer
Meals and incidental expenses when you are required to stay away from home overnight for work (if you receive an allowance you can claim the full amount of that allowance as long as it is shown on your PAYG payment summary).
Parking, tolls, taxis & public transport when travelling to attend seminars, meetings and training courses not held at your usual place of work
Using your own car for work, including travel to collect materials and supplies, travel between two or more job sites, attend seminars, meetings or training courses. It is best to keep diary records of the number of kilometres travelled during the year for these purposes.

Work Clothing
The cost of the following: Compulsory uniforms, including shirts, pants, shirts, jackets, jumpers, (the logo must be on the uniform to ensure it is tax deductible).
Laundry, dry cleaning and repair of your uniforms
Sun protection items if required to work and conduct training outside (including sunscreen, sunglasses, hats)
Protective equipment that is not provide by your employer (including overalls, gloves, goggles, masks, helmets, steel-capped boots, gum boots, high visibility vests and jackets)

The cost of the following:
Work-related short training courses related to your current employment e.g. first aid, OH&S, truck and heavy vehicle driving, staff supervision, management which are not run by a university or TAFE. You can also claim the travel expenses to attend these courses.
Self education courses run by universities (not including HELP or HECS) or TAFE, for example Cert III trade courses or Cert IV Building and Construction Course) provided they relate to your current employment. If studying, costs of books, stationery, travel and equipment required for the course.

Work Tools & Equipment
The costs of: Buying and repairing equipment used at work, including tools, electronic organisers, laptops and mobile phones.
Materials or supplies that you use at work (eg safety gear)
Stationery items, diaries, briefcases
Memberships, Subscriptions, Books, Telephones, Internet

The costs of: Association membership or union fees
Machinery operating licences and tickets that are required for your work, but not your normal driving licence
Work related books, magazines and journals
Work related home and mobile phone calls and rental (diary records should be kept to substantiate the numbers of phone calls you make for one month and then the accrued cost can be calculated)
Internet connection fees (only the proportion of the fee that relates to work use can be claimed)
Home office (diary records should be used to substantiate the hours per month spent working from home)

General Expenses
The cost of deductions that all employees can claim on their tax returns include:
Bank fees charged on investment accounts
Donations to registered charities (so long as nothing is received in return for the donation eg raffle tickets or novelty items)
Tax agent fees, including the cost of travelling to see your agent to have your return prepared.
Income protection or sickness and accident premiums
Rightwayaccounting suggest you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they are not listed above. When we prepare your return we can determine whether the expense is tax deductible or not.